Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Tien Hao Lee, section 03, ASA, Week 2


In the article from UC Berkeley Free Speech, it mentions the Free Speech Movement’s victory fostered a new spirit of activism among student. I remember when my brother graduated from UC Berkeley last year, I attended their commencement ceremony. The CEO of ORACLE was their guest speaker for the ceremony. I remember he gave a speech over several controversial topics, such as guns law and gay rights. I was extremely surprise to realize how liberal UC Berkeley is. I believe the FSM’s success demonstrate to student across the nation that effective protest movement could be built on campus. The FSM made UC Berkeley into a liberal university, where students and faculty are able to voice up their opinions. According to DailyCal.org, UC berkeley has been voted the most liberal city in California. The Free Speech Movement has planted the root of activism into UC Berkeley. 
I have always asked my self, what would it be like if all UC are as liberal as UC Berkeley? I definitely believe that there would be no pepper spray incident happening in UC Davis. The activist environment in Davis has not reach to the same level as Berkeley. One day, I hope all the UC would become like UC Berkeley, where everyone are allow to speak up their voice and defend their rights.
most liberal and conservative town map slightly larger labels

No comments:

Post a Comment