Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Society's misconception

Jessica Au
Week 1 Blog
ASA 2, Sect A01
9/30/15

According to the 2010 API census, there are about 17 million residents in the US of Asian descent. 5.6/17 is the Asian population in California. Being born and raised in California, I grew up with many other Asian Americans and it brings me to talk about the misconception of how we are a “Model Minority.”

A majority of society sees Asian Americans as intelligent and successful in school. Glancing over the numbers for the UCD profile, the Asian population is about 39%-- that being the highest percentage within the race/ethnicity category. This fact could lead to the generalization of the success and intelligence of these individuals to be "because they're Asian."

Like so, many believe us to be great mathematicians. I'm personally a Mathematics major here at UC Davis, and I will say that I have struggled in math more than any other subject. I chose to pursue a degree in Math out of pure interest and I'm not naturally "good" at it. I just decided to work harder to learn it and reach my goals, which applies to many others pursuing their dreams and aspirations.

We shouldn’t be known as a model minority and have our success be generalized as inherently part of us. What can we do to stop society from seeing us as a “Model Minority?”



No comments:

Post a Comment