Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Asian Americans and Education

Henderson Lu
Week 1 A01

Asian Americans are approximately 5.6% of the US population, according to the 2010 API census. A stunning 50% of that population have graduated college with their bachelor's degree and a portion of the graduates have went on to pursue a professional degree. Is it a no brainer that Asians make up almost 39% of the student body at UC Davis? Sure that 39% isn't purely Asian Americans, but it is a large percentage compared to other minorities. I also feel that most of the  Asian American students that pursue a college degree believe that a good future begins with a high level education. This is something my parents and relatives have constantly told me as I was growing up, so this eventually became a norm. This norm became a fact as I made more friends and realized they had a similar mindset as myself.

Question: How can we raise community awareness to become more aware of the global problems that may conflict with the "conveyor belt" culture?





No comments:

Post a Comment