Sunday, June 4, 2017

Week 10 - Emily Trang

Emily Trang
Week 10
A01

In "'The Time to Fight is Now': When Asian American Women in Academia Go Rogue" by Caroline Valverde and Wei Ming Dariotis, the writers really highlight the experiences of mainly Asian American women in higher education and the injustices they have faced. I liked bringing in the connections to Star Wars because it made the piece interesting to read and I can see the analogy. Section 4 stuck out to me simply because I recognized the name of Allyson Tintiango-Cubales. She is the wife of my high school P.E. teacher. I was pleasantly surprised to know that people that are considered, I guess, normal people, can start amazing things and make a difference. It shows that we don't have to be powerful or have a significant position to speak up about things and do things that are important to us. The statistics of people that get tenured also stood out to me. Not that I want to have tenure, but it is discouraging to see that Asian American women get tenured the least compared to everyone else. I love the definition of radical love that was introduced. I feel like it encompasses everything that love is supposed to be, especially loving others and loving ourselves. These lines about radical love are the ones that stood out to me in the whole piece. Because shouldn't everything we do be driven by this radical love? If not for love, then why do people choose to do things? 

Question: Why are Asian American women a target for the system?



References:
1. Valverde, C., & Dariotis, W. (2017). "The Time to Fight is Now": When Asian American Women in Academia Go Rogue. Retrieved June 3, 2017
2. "About Troy Church." Troy Church. N.p., n.d. Web. 04 June 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment