Sunday, June 4, 2017

Week 10: Charlene Chan, Section 2

 Charlene Chan
Section 2
June 4, 2017
Week 10: The Future of Higher Education

The introduction to the anthology Fight the Tower brought together the issues that we had learned about over the course of this quarter. Although an academic piece, it contained a lot of emotion that had clearly been personal and raw once, but had been refined and repurposed to address real and relevant issues in our academic system. It was quite powerful to see so many other women of color come together to piece their struggles into one collective outcry for change.
As I mentioned in my first blog post, my goal is to become a professor, so this piece hit quite close to home. I’m thankful that there are others who come before me who set an example for me to follow in the journey ahead: whose efforts I can not only appreciate, but aspire to emulate. After taking this course and realizing the unspoken responsibilities that being a woman of color in the academia, whether as a professor or as a student requires, I am more determined, rather than discouraged, to stick to my charted course. As "the nature of institutionalized power is to abuse it" (15), we must continue to stay vigilant and discerning as the fight continues.


Question: How do we keep consistently challenging the system and not grow complacent?

References:

Fight The System. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://bloggmalplace.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/anti-system.jpg


No comments:

Post a Comment