Sunday, June 4, 2017

Week 10 - Anna Yang

Anna Yang
ASA002 A02
Week 10

After reading this week’s reading on “The Time to Fight is Now”: When Asian American Women in Academia Go Rogue”, it discusses the issues of how important it is for Asian-American women to express their disagreement with how they are treated in environments now in favor of them. One thing that stuck out to me was that Asian-American women are at a lower percentage to be tenured and promoted compared to white men. It mentioned also how Asian-American women are at a disadvantage due to their status in universities and how they are stereotyped in ways that do not allow them to speak up for themselves. This piece takes me to my own experience with cousin’s experience working towards her law degree. She has shared with me the struggles of being an Asian-American woman achieving academic at her law school. I remember her telling me about the struggles she’s faced and how surprisingly some professors would discourage her from doing something because it is usually entitled to a “man” position. After hearing about this, it made me realize how disappointing that woman are color are not being treated equally as white men or even men of color. This constant let-down makes me feel that I am not capable as other people to do the same job which is disheartening.

Question: How can we fight the stigmatization of Asian-American women in universities?




References :

Valverde, C., & Dariotis, W. (2017). "The Time to Fight is Now": When Asian American Women in Academia Go Rogue. Retrieved June 4, 2017.

Why Asian Americans Are the Most Educated Group in America « All About America. N.p., n.d. Web. 04 June 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment