Sunday, March 29, 2020

Shannon Ngo ASA2 A04 Week 1

At first, I didn’t think much of the virus, comparing it to the flu-- it’s bad, but not too bad. And after seeing the countless jokes and memes this generation created in response to the pandemic, I adopted an apathetic attitude to the entire situation. It wasn’t until later when the death toll started climbing up, when emergency preventative measures were set in place, that I started to grow more concerned. 


I only thought of the short-term consequences; as an introvert, quarantine didn’t seem at all devastating. Social distancing, limited contact-- great, nothing I can’t handle. But then I realized I was out of a job, and my parents were, too. And suddenly, financial stability wasn’t so stable anymore. 


The economy would surely take a hit after this, but just as significant are the racial ramifications. Professor Valverde discusses discrimination in Fight the Tower: A Call to Action for Women of Color in Academia,” and in these times of panic, it’s only heightened. Some people are all too ready to blame others, for the mere purpose of attributing their misery and struggles to an available source. 


For this course, I’m eager to learn more about the corrupt underhandedness of the higher education system (and why Professor Valverde referred to it as an industrial complex). The podcast element is also an interesting factor. 


Question: how would the coronavirus affect future proceedings, economically and socially, in the following months? Years?






Source: Valverde, Kieu-Linh Caroline (2013) “Fight the Tower: A Call to Action of Women of Color in Academia”. Seattle Journal for Justice: Vol. 12: Iss. 2, Article 5. Retrieved from 

No comments:

Post a Comment