Monday, March 30, 2020

Michalea Lai, A01, Week 1

      Over the course of this month, coronavirus cases have been rising exponentially in the United States with no indication of slowing down. Along with it have been extreme cases of xenophobia. My older sister, Michelle, currently lives in New York for graduate school. During these times, I have been extremely anxious and stressed for her health and well-being along with my parents. I spoke with her and she mentioned how the other day an Asian American student was randomly punched in the face by a stranger and an elderly Asian man was kicked in the back by teenagers. This is because of the increasing xenophobia connected with the coronavirus. I, along with many others, am extremely disappointed in how people are treating others due to this pandemic. We should be supporting each other through these tough times instead of tearing each other down. As an Asian American, I am terrified of finding myself in a situation where I am faced with racism due to the coronavirus. My question for this topic is: how does one respond to something like this?
     For this course, I am hoping to learn more about ways to react when faced with racism. In "Fight the Tower: A Call to Action for Women of Color in Academia", I read about Professor Valverde's struggles in the workplace. Even through our years of struggle as Asian Americans, it is very apparent that there is still a lot more obstacles in our way.


References


Valverde, K.-L. C. (2013). Fight the Tower: A Call to Action for Women of Color in Academia. 
     Seattle Journal for Social Justice, 12(2). Retrieved from http://digitalcommons.law.seattleu.edu

No comments:

Post a Comment