Monday, March 30, 2020

Aaron Tam A01 Week 1 Blog

Week 1 Blog

Even just a few weeks ago, many of us would not have thought that this virus we were hearing about would spread so quickly or become such a major part of the way we live our lives. This class being moved to online is a very fine example of that. On an even greater scale, people are out of work, people are dying, people are forced to stay home, people are missing out on important life events, and  many people are being targeted because of this.

While this virus did start in China, I have heard a lot of news about Chinese people taking the fall and being targeted for killing so many people when they had nothing to do with it except be an Asian American. Xenophobia is getting the best of people because they are failing to see the bigger picture and letting the disease get the best of them. It does not help after all to have a president that entertains this sort of treatment.

I personally am tired of having to change the way I live my life because of this virus and I can understand why it is getting the best of some people. I am very interested however to see what others have to say about this and I am even more eager to learn ideals from this class that hopefully will address these issues and give a more educated explanation to all of this. I think I am taking this class at a perfect time and as an Asian American, I am interested to see how the curriculum for this class relates.

References

Stevens, Matt. “Coronavirus Taunts Evoke a Painful History for Asian-American Leaders.” The New York Times, The New York Times, 29 Mar. 2020, www.nytimes.com/2020/03/29/us/politics/coronavirus-asian-americans.html.

1 comment:

  1. You and me both, Aaron. We will definitely be flexible with the contents of this class to have it relate to the time of Corona.

    ReplyDelete