Sunday, June 1, 2014

Response 10

Sophia Lam
ASA 2 Sec 1
Reflection 10: Angry Little Asian Girl
6/1/14

                I could relate to the anger that the angry little Asian girl felt whenever her mother scolded her in an offensive way. Growing up, my mother has taught me with this method and I always felt either sad or angry. However, I didn't understand that it was a cultural method until I was older. I would often compare my mother’s teachings to Western society’s ways of teaching. I feel that my mother’s way of raising me lowered my self-esteem and self-confidence when I was younger as I would always compare my family to Lizzie McGuire’s loving family on TV. I believe that in some cases, cultural differences do not translate well in another country. Although over the years, I feel as if immigrant parents, such as my friends' and my own, are loosening up or adapting a few western ways of raising a family. Yet second or 1.5 generation parents, such as my cousins and neighbors, are practicing western styles of raising a family. If immigrants change their cultural habits to fit their new society, how much of a culture gets lost?

No comments:

Post a Comment