Sunday, June 1, 2014

Angry Little Asian Girl



Joyce Wong
Response #10
Section A01

When I first read the comic "Angry Little Asian Girl" by Leila Lee, I saw that the mother was always portrayed as insulting her daughter or yelling at her. My very first question is: why is it a daughter? Why isn't the mother yelling at her son (I am not saying the mother should be yelling at her son over her daughter)? Does this have to do with the belief that Asian families prefer sons over daughters? Furthermore, I find that although I do related to these comics a little bit, Asian mothers are not usually insulting or yelling at their children as portrayed in this comic strip. They can be quite supportive, as Amy Chua's (Tiger mom) daughter indicated in her article "Why I love my strict Chinese mom".

No comments:

Post a Comment