Sunday, June 1, 2014

Why so Angry?

In Response to Angry Little Asian Girl

I first heard of Angry Little Asian girl a couple of years ago when my friends and I visited San Francisco’s Japantown.  I found the designs cute and the accompanying writing humorous. Some of the sayings I saw were “A is for Angry” and “I hate people.”  I enjoyed Angry Little Asian Girl because I felt like she was saying all of the things I wanted to say, but never felt like I could. 

The three comic strips in the Angry Little Asian Girl PDF show a side of the Angry Little Asian Girl that I have never seen before; the comics develop ALAG as a multidimensional character.  All of the strips  feature her mother, who seems to be a typical Tiger Mom.  I never though of her as having a mother before?!  The comic titled “Nobody” shows ALAG getting upset because her mother is rambling on about something and ALAG is torn between talking back or not.  She does not end up talking back and forgets what her mother was complaining about.  This is the first time that I have seen her not defend herself and I don’t know how to feel about it.  Is this suppose to be before she became habitually angry?  Is her mother the reason why she is habitually angry?  




Breana Inoshita 
Section A02 

Response 10

No comments:

Post a Comment