Sunday, June 1, 2014

Reflection #10: On Angry Little Asian Girl

Calvin Ma
ASA 2

When I read the strips I couldn't help but think that I could not relate to the little girl at all. I definitely felt sad and embarrassed, but anger was never the emotion I felt when I got that kind of lashing from my parents because I knew that what they were saying was right. Every time I was yelled at, I knew it was because I was taking the easy way out, not caring to put any effort into my actions. For example, I have asked the question about why I had no friends when I was very young. But I asked it while knowing that I never made the effort to even try to talk or socialize with others around me and tried to shift the blame away from myself. It was for these kind of reasons I was yelled at and I know my parents did it with the good intentions of not letting me run away from my problems. I do admit that the message can certainly be given in a nicer manner, but when I read these comic strips I can't help but think that this is either all tongue-in-cheek, or the author needs to make a better effort to understand what is going on.




Q: How are tiger parents looked upon in retrospect after their children have grown up? (This is the best way to actually judge them).

No comments:

Post a Comment