Sunday, June 1, 2014

Ineffective Parenting

Jimmy Nguyen
ASA 2 A01
Reflection #10: Angry Little Asian Girl

   Looking at the relationship between the Asian girl and her mother as depicted in the comics, I couldn't help but relate it to many of the passive aggressive Asian American relationship I see between my mother and my little sister. In the comics, it is shown the mother being a tiger mom and being critical towards her daughter. Although her ultimate goal is to raise her daughter in a way where she becomes stronger through tough parenting, this is not always the case. As I've personally seen with my own little sister, I've noticed that 90% of the time, this sort of parenting just makes my sister angry as shown in the comics. Often times, whenever she and my mother argue, my sister will always go to me in an angry mood and ask me why our mother treats her so bad. Even though I tell her over and over and its for her own good and that its because she loves her, my sister has difficulty believing me. When I talk to my mother about it, she just tells me that it's for my sister's own good. Just like in one of the comics shown, sometimes one of them will forget what they were even fighting about in the first place. Unfortunately, through this method of parenting, I have seen my sister grow from an innocent, loving daughter to a spoiled, disrespectful daughter. Although I do not want to blame my mom for this change, it's because of how she treated her, even though she'll argue that it's all for love.
   This is stereotypical for many Asian relationships. Asian parents believe that by being strict on their children, their children will learn values and morals. After seeing what has happened in my on family and what is depicted in these comics, I can safely say that this method of parenting is obsolete. Children do not need to be treated poorly, but rather, in order to have successful lives, they must be treated with tender love and care. I hope that as the generations passed, this tiger mom parenting style dies out because it creates broken families and angry children.

Question: What are the statistics of children who actually grow up to be successful or not successful after being treated critically by their parents growing up? Are children who have tiger parents more successful or less successful?

No comments:

Post a Comment