Sunday, June 1, 2014

A Parenting Style That Hurts Children Emotionally

Reading Response #10 to “Angry Asian Little Girl”

              When I read this comic, I was able to see the passive aggressive parenting style Asian Americans use for their children. What depresses me is that when the girl tells her mother that she has no friends, her mother replies that she is ugly. The daughter is angered, and I can imagine that her self-esteem would be ruined. It would also strain the mother-daughter relationship, and it can have negative effects on children because it is so important that they have good relationships with their parents. Even though my parents have not made such emotionally detrimental remarks to me during my childhood, I personally would feel the same way that the girl did if I were in her situation. I know that parents want the best for their children, but I believe that under no circumstances is it acceptable for parents to be rude their children like how the mother called her daughter “ugly”.

Questions: How long has this type of passive aggressive parenting style existed? Who invented the idea of this parenting style?

Jianying Yang

Section A02


No comments:

Post a Comment