Sunday, October 1, 2017

Week 2: Samantha Nguyen


Samantha Nguyen
ASA 002
Week 2

I found the reading, “Beyond Tiger Mom Anxiety – Ethnic Gender and Generational Differences in Asian American College Access and Choices,” written by Poon and Byrd, to be eye-opening. I read the book Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother, written by Amy Chau, my junior year and I found the book to be very relatable. As stated in the reading, women are more likely to name individuals other than themselves as important influences in the college decision. I am a first-generation Chinese and Vietnamese college-going student and the biggest influences in my college decision process were my parents. Although it is true that because my parents had limited knowledge about college, they were not able to be as involved as college-educated parents. My parents wanted me to go straight into a university instead of going into community, and they have always had high expectations for my brother and I. My mindset was configured by my dad as a child, always telling me that hard work through my academics and getting a degree will lead to a successful future. I chose Davis not only because of my parent’s influence, but I also chose it on my own free-will because I am self-driven, and this reading made me realize that. The study in the reading presents how teachers and school counselors also play key roles in the college process. Parents are not the only influential characters in the college choice, and we should be grateful for the teachers and counselors for guiding us down our paths.

Question: Are tiger moms prevalent in other cultures as well? Also, why is it that women are more open to acknowledging the influence of their parents than men do? 




References:
1. Poon, O., & Byrd, A. (2013). Beyond Tiger Mom Anxiety: Ethnic, Gender and Generational Differences in Asian American College Access and Choices. Journal of College Admission, 22-31. Retrieved October 1, 2017.
2. Tiger Mother [Digital]. (2011, April 13). Retrieved October 1, 2017, from afterthemillennials.com

No comments:

Post a Comment