Saturday, October 7, 2017

Week 3: Noelani Pastor

Noelani Pastor
Section A01
Week 1

In her essay "Hmong Does Not Mean Free: The Miseducation of Hmong Americans", Kaozong Mouavangsou explains how the US education system does not provide enough information about Hmong people which leads to their miseducation throughout schooling and such. The fact that I didn't even know or hear about Hmong people and where they originated from fully supports Mouavangsou's claim. Hmong people are clearly not acknowledged as much as they should be. It is true that stereotypes are hard to break which makes it hard for Hmong young males to keep living their educated lives without being seen as a "nerd" or a "geek". At my old high school, people would admire the highly educated students and talk highly about them as well, so while reading this essay, it surprised me with how other people are attacked with words and expectations based on their ethnicity. I think most asians could relate to this essay because most asian parents tell their children that in order to get a good job and to be financially stable, they have to work hard to get a good education. In my experience, my parents pushed me throughout my whole education so far because they integrated this thought into my head that it will help me in the future. I actually do agree with this idea, however, I know people that haven't received a college degree who have well-paying jobs which contradicts the big idea. 

Question: Why did Hmong people not speak up about not being portrayed rightfully in textbooks and educational resources? If they did, why has it not been exposed to society so they could learn more about Hmong people?


Resources:

1) Mouavangsou, K. N. Hmong Does Not Mean Free: The Miseducation Of Hmong Americans(Unpublished doctoral dissertation). University of California, Davis.

2) [Hmong Students ]. (n.d.). Retrieved October 7, 2017, from http://www.txhawb.com/?site=stories&read=15

No comments:

Post a Comment