Saturday, October 7, 2017

Week 3 - Gerald Malvin

Gerald Malvin
ASA 2 - A01
Oct 7th, 2017

While reading Hmong Does Not Mean Free: The Miseducation Of Hmong American by Kaozong N. Mouavangsou, I realized how Hmong people are not well-exposed as their other Asian "counterparts". Before coming to America a year ago, I've never heard of the term Hmong let alone meet someone of the Hmong ethnicity. However, after coming to UC Davis, I met a friend who is of the Hmong ethnicity, I learnt about their culture and history. While reading the article,  I encountered the phrase "you have to do it for yourself, not for me… build a career that you want to so you don’t go to work being miserable every day of your life… but you have to have education, that's the most important thing", and in some way, I could relate to that because it is what my parents have been telling me ever since I was a young boy. It was the reason why they have always directed me to be a multilinguist. In some ways, I do agree that education is the only way an individual could turn their life drastically in one lifetime. Although there might be a few cases where successful people dropped out of college, the statistics still say that education is the most preferred way.

Question: What could possibly be the reason why Hmong-Americans are not as exposed as the other Asian ethnicities?


Image result for asian classroom black and white
Resource

 
Mouavangsou, Kaozong N. Hmong Does Not Mean Free: The Miseducation of Hmong Americans. Retrieved October 7, 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment