Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Week 2- Angie Zhang

Angie Zhang
Section A01
Week 2


The article Beyond Tiger Mom Anxiety: Ethnic, Gender, and Generational Differences in Asian American College Access and Choices mainly talks about a research performed on Asian Americans to see how much parental influence affected the college choices of students. As a fellow Asian American myself, I know from experience that many people stereotypically assume that my parents were a big influence on me when it came to choosing which college I should attend. As Poon and Loyola presented in their article, “survey results affirmed the importance of parental opinions in Asian American college-choice processes” (Poon 2013). However, also as stated in the article, not all Asian American parents are as involved in that process, such as those of first generation college students. I can closely relate to this as I am a first generation college student and my parents did not pressure me into choosing a specific college, but most of my friends, who are also Asian American, were heavily influenced, if not “forced,” to attend certain colleges based on the fact that their parents believed that it was the only way they could ever succeed in the future. However, to me, this is outrageous. Although I most definitely agree that students should take some advice from their parents, I feel as though they should have their own freedom when choosing which college to attend, and that whatever decision they end up with in the end should ultimately be their own.





Question: If this same research was done on students who weren't Asian American, how would the results have differed?


References:
Poon, O., & Byrd, A. (2013). “Beyond Tiger Mom Anxiety: Ethnic, Gender and Generational Difference in Asian American College Access and Choices.” Journal of College Admissions, 23-30. Retrieved October 3, 2017.


Chua, Amy. “Tiger Mom (Amy Chua): Worse Parenting Style Ever.” Retrieved October 3, 2017.
http://girlinyourworld.blogspot.com/2011/05/tiger-mom-amy-chua-worse-parenting.html

No comments:

Post a Comment