Sunday, October 8, 2017

Week 2- Yuanxin Zhang

Yuanxin Zhang
Section A01
Week 02

In Beyond Tiger Mom Anxiety: Ethnic, Gender and Generational Differences in Asian American College Access and Choices, the authors studied the stereotypes that Asians can go to a good college easier because Asian parents have strict rules to their children and Asian students value their parents’ opinion. I think these stereotypes can be very misleading can cause problem. For example, the stereotype may actually make it harder for Asian students to get in a good college because people would have a higher expectation for Asian students compared to students with other race and that would make the admission for Asian students to be more intense. Personally, my parents do not give me a lot of strict rules or plan everything for me. They do care about my study, my daily life and my future, but nothing like controlling my life. I care about my parents’ opinion but I have my own opinion as well; if I do not agree with my parent, we talk before I made the decision, and my parents would listen to me and support me if my reasoning make sense. I believe that stereotype is good for people who want to quickly learn about a new culture but it is highly misleading and it will always to wrong if you want to precisely describe everyone in a group.

Question:

What are some other possible bad influences of the stereotype for Asian students in the U.S. education and how can we break the stereotypes?


Reference:
1. Poon, O., & Byrd, A. (2013). “Beyond Tiger Mom Anxiety: Ethnic, Gender and Generational Difference in Asian American College Access and Choices.” Journal of College Admissions, 23-30. Retrieved October 8, 2017.
2. [Digital image]. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.pinterest.com/pin/74098356339741274/


No comments:

Post a Comment