Sunday, October 1, 2017

Week 2: Sushil Ravoori A03

Reading the article “Asian Americans and Affirmative Action: From Yellow Peril to Model Minority and Back Again” was especially interesting to me, because as an Asian American student, I have often personally dealt with and thought about the topics discussed. As someone who grew up in a predominantly Asian, upper middle class area (Bay Area, CA), it was not until I started my college journey that I realized what a bubble I lived in. When I was applying for college, my parents told me frankly that because I was Asian, colleges had significantly higher standards for my admission, than they would for students of other races. I found this patently unfair and confusing, as I had been told my whole life that my grades and test scores were the most important thing, and these things would ensure I got into a good school. It seemed to me that other students, who had not worked as hard as me, would get into better schools due to something I could not control (race). This is a prime example of the harmful effects of the “model minority” myth, that is largely prevalent in the world today. As mentioned in the article, not only is this thinking false, it serves only to turn minorities against each other. I can see how a situation like mine might foster resentment towards other minorities. We must make sure that we do not believe such ideas, and maintain focus on the real issues affecting minority groups. At the end of the day, the struggles that minorities still face to this day in America, are struggles that all minorities must face. Such concepts as “model minority” serve only to divide minority groups, and distract them from the real sources of discrimination and prejudice affecting their communities. Now more than ever, we must be united among all ethnic and cultural groups, if we really want to foster equality for all.


Question: What can be done to combat the widespread belief of the “model minority”?

No comments:

Post a Comment