Sunday, October 1, 2017

Week 2: Megan Tang

Megan Tang
A02
Week 2

Growing up and being a first generation college student, my family played a huge factor in a majority of my choices I have made up to this point. "Beyond Tiger Mom Anxiety - Ethnic Gender and Generational Differences in Asian American College Access and Choices," by Poon and Byrd confirmed that my parents did make my choices. Personally, going to college was not a choice or an option - it was more of something that I thought everyone did to become successful. I had no clue about how many of the things or how the system works. I just did what I was told - so that I do not disappoint my parents. The reason why I do not want to disappoint my parents is because I feel like I owe a lot to them. They have immigrated thousands of miles to come to America for the so called "American Dream." The dream that now my sister and I have to complete and accomplish. However, how true is the American Dream? Does everyone really become successful in America if they follow this dream? What are the chances of making it in America? Questions like this always pop up, yet I am still trying chase this dream in sake of my family.


Question: Why does it seem like college is the most logical step after high school? 

References:
Eskow, R. (n.d.). 7 Facts That Show the American Dream Is Dead. Retrieved October 01, 2017, from https://www.alternet.org/economy/7-facts-show-american-dream-dead

No comments:

Post a Comment