Sunday, October 1, 2017

Week 2 Lawrence Liu

Lawrence Liu
ASA 2 A01
Week 2

            I found the reading on tiger moms by Poon and Byrd to be quite interesting as it backs up a phenomenon with statistical data. However, I would disagree with Poon on the idea that “Tiger Mom” style parenting is an American stereotype of Chinese parenting. Having grown up in China, I have seen firsthand the lengths that Chinese parents will go to maximize their children’s chances of going to a prestigious university. Beyond lengthy hours of revisions, parents have also bought property in an area simply because it meant their child could go to the better primary or secondary school. On the other end of the spectrum are my parents, who hold strong traditional Chinese values and didn’t go to college, but spent a significant amount of time in America. Their approach to my education, relative to my peers, was a bit more laissez-faire in that they didn’t force me into any activities. Instead the role of the tiger mom was filled by my sister as she went through the academic process and graduated from UC Berkeley. Without her pushing me, I probably wouldn’t have ended up at UC Davis. While I am not as knowledgeable on South East Asian culture, I think a great driver in East Asian parental pressure on academic success, aside from general parental concern, would be the idea of “face”. In addition, it may originate from an underlying fear that as a transplant without strong roots in the country, they need to enter the areas of what America considers “successful” to solidify their place in the country.



Question: Will the "Tiger Mom" parenting style become more intense or relaxed as time goes on?

References:

Gao, Kathy. “Chinese ‘Tiger Mum’ Makes Her Son, Aged 9, Study for 16 Hours Every Day.” South China Morning Post, 4 Mar. 2016, Chinese ‘tiger mum’ makes her son, aged 9, study for 16 hours every day.

Poon, O., & Byrd, A. (2013). Beyond Tiger Mom Anxiety: Ethnic, Gender and Generational Differences in Asian American College Access and Choices. Journal of College Admission, 22-31. Retrieved October 1, 2017.

1 comment:

  1. I think 'education' as a modern day value is not to be underestimated. It also runs across many ethnic/racial groups to possibly demystify that it is only as an Asian or Chinese cultural value. I agree that there is something to the "tiger mom" stereotype in general although the reasons vary and are complex.

    ReplyDelete