Sunday, October 1, 2017

Week 2 - Elijah Ramirez

Elijah Ramirez
ASA 002 A01
Week 2


“Beyond Tiger Mom Anxiety – Ethnic Gender and Generational Differences in Asian American College Access and Choices,” by Poon and Byrd is an article about how certain factors influence a person’s college choice. It describes, in the beginning, that being a “tiger mom,” or a strict parent, is not the only reason Asian-Americans choose the colleges they apply to. I can relate to this article, as I am a Filipino-American. Poon and Byrd said Filipino-Americans tend to choose schools near home; the only two schools I wanted to attend were schools close to my relatives, as I feel safer when they are nearby. I also wanted to go to a school in a new environment, with new people and a different culture. However, I did keep my parents’ opinion in mind, they wanted me to go to a university rather than a community college, and the university had to be higher in the national rank than most schools. While my parents may have influenced my choice, it also shows that there is more to it than just that; no single thing influences the choices people make in general. We can choose whatever we want to choose, as the choice is only ours to make.


What is the greatest influence on people’s college choice in general, including all ethnic groups?


 


References
1. Poon, O., & Byrd, A. (2013). Beyond Tiger Mom Anxiety: Ethnic, Gender and Generational Differences in Asian American College Access and Choices. Journal of College Admission, 22-31. Retrieved October 1, 2017.
      2. Unknown. Retrieved October 1, 2017 from https://pics.me.me/he-got-a-b-in-math-and-i-was-happy-18578213.png

No comments:

Post a Comment