Sunday, October 1, 2017

Week 1

EuJune Kim
ASA002 A03
Week 1

During my reading of Professor Valverde's “Fight the Tower: A Call to Action for Women of Color in Academia”, I felt helpless and angry. This text really highlighted the amount of oppression and discrimination that not only her, but also thousands of other women of color academics have undergone.

As a straight Asian male, I must say that while I have felt microaggressions, racism, and discrimination, but comparing my experiences with Professor Valverde's words, it seems that my struggles were not even a hint of what her and other academia have gone through. As much as I identify myself as an 'ally' of those who are marginalized, I am humbled every time to hear about someone else's personal strife and fight in life. Women are truly incredible beings.

I was particularly baffled and upset at the fact that when Professor Valverde requested for another maternity leave, it was denied since she had already received an "disability-related extension". That is an absolute outrage. It got me thinking about the thousands of other women-of-color academia that might have been unfairly treated just for their decision to be a mother.

My question would be:

How in the world has issues such as discrimination in academia still not been addressed? How are these cases being allowed to be slipped through the legal cracks?


References:

1. Valverde, K. (2013). "Fight the Tower": A Call to Action for Women of Color in Academia, 12(2). 367-419. Retrieved October 1, 2017

2. Maternity_001. Kosovo 2.0 (2016) Retrieved October 1, 2017, from http://kosovotwopointzero.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Maternity_001.png


1 comment:

  1. Great insight and question. I am actually revising a piece I have done on the so-called disability of being a mother. It is outrageous indeed, and unless we change our mindsets about what it means to be human and treat others humanely, laws will never touch the books.

    ReplyDelete