Sunday, October 1, 2017

Week 1: Alexander Soong A01

Alexander Soong
ASA 2 A01
Week 1

Professor Valverde’s “Fight the Tower: A Call to Action” was truly an eye opening read for me. I say eye opening because I was exposed to so many things that contradicted my initial beliefs, such as university being a welcoming place for innovation and teaching rather than a place for judgment of someone’s ability based on where someone is from or what someone looks like. Never before would I have guessed that someone with a known disability such as ADHD would be discouraged and denied help from a public administration. My cousin has been dealing with ADHD ever since he has been a child, and so I’ve seen first hand the adversity a person needs to overcome to achieve what a lot of the general population takes for granted. To me, this personal detail regarding Professor Valverde makes the story that much more compelling. While reading Professor Valverde’s fight for her tenure I felt a mix of negative emotions which included anger, disappointment and disbelief. However, as her success story developed my sense of pride and appreciation masked the anger and disappointment I had felt earlier. The Professor attributed her success partly due to the people who she was surrounded with: her students. Like the Professor, when I look around, I see my best friends and family all advocating for me and pushing for my success. I feel grateful knowing that although is definitely an uphill climb to reach anyone’s career goals, I have my closest circle of friends and family for support.



Question:
In Professor Valverde’s “Fight the Tower: A Call to Action”, she mentions that there is this social disparity between different Asian ethnicities. That the Chinese, Japanese and Korean ethnicities feel that they are supreme when compared to Southeast Asian ethnicities such as the Vietnamese. Is there evidence to show that this phenomenon in other demographics, like comparing Eastern Europe to Western Europe?


References:
1.     Valverde, K., (2013). “Fight the Tower”: A Call to Action for Women in Academia, 12(2), 367-419. Retrieved September 30, 2017.

2.     Fran. (n.d.). HR said we should be looking for a little fresh blood any idea what theyre talking about? Retrieved September 30, 2017 from https://www.cartoonstock.com/cartoonview.asp?catref=forn2599ju


No comments:

Post a Comment