Sunday, October 8, 2017

Nelofer Siddiqui A03 Week 3

Reading the first few pages of "Hmong Does Not Mean Free: the Miseducation of Hmong Americans,' I was waiting for an explanation as to who the Hmong people were. I had never heard of them or the concept, and judging by the article, they seem like they have a relatively significant presence in America. I Googled 'Hmong' and found that they have a widespread influence in Asia and America. So, I was surprised that never in my middle or high school history education was the word 'Hmong' or any variation mentioned. In the article, it seems that if they're taught about, they're represented as a sexist, less civilized culture. This misrepresentation, or even lack or representation, of a culture is something that I personally am frustrated and familiar with. I'm Indian and Pakistani, and I often feel that my culture was not represented accurately in history classes I've taken. My culture was skimmed over, and the main points I took away were similar to what is taught about Hmong people - that people of my ethnicity are sexist and "backwards" in comparison to Western culture.

Another point the author, Mouavangsu, mentioned that I found interesting was the "loss of language" in the American Hmong community, and other cultures as well. American education is held on such a high pedestal that being able to fit in in Western society comes before preserving one's own culture. In this way, America truly becomes a "melting pot" in which cultures blend together in an American broth, rather than each culture standing out in its own beautiful way. This concept of assimilation has is present everywhere in American history. I grew up with English as my first language, and already I've felt like I'm missing out on fully being a part of my culture because I can't communicate with every member of my family. I know this is a feeling many first or second generation Asian Americans experience, and I'm not sure whether it's a good thing or a bad thing, or somewhere in between.

Question: How can we redefine the way that non-Western cultures are represented in education?



Hing, Julianne. (2013, October 3) Hmong dancers at a cultural festival. [Photograph] Retrieved from https://www.colorlines.com/articles/univ-wisconsin-hmong-american-studies-classes.

Mouavangsou, K.N. (2016). Hmong does not Mean Free: the Miseducation of Hmong Americans. Retrieved October 8, 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment