Sunday, October 1, 2017

Nelofer Siddiqui A03 Week 2

'Battle Hymn of a Tiger Mother' by Amy Chua is a book that has had a profound effect on me. I read it a few years ago, and found myself able to put myself in the shoes of the children of the narrator. I am a 1.5 generation Asian American, and although my parents from South Asia (India & Pakistan) unlike where Amy Chua is from, I'm still subject to many of the stereotypical experiences that 1.5 generation Asian Americans go through. Looking over the results displayed in the article, I was not surprised to find that on average, the most and least important factors to Asian Americans in a college decision are reputation of the institution, and closeness to home, respectively. I chose to attend UC Davis for many reasons, but the main reason was because it was the most prestigious school I was admitted to. In addition, I was born and raised in Chicago, Illinois; it's obvious that it was not a top priority of mine to be close to home when I chose what college I would attend. An interesting thing to note is that the majority of my friends from high school chose schools nearby Chicago or Illinois. Most of them are caucasian.

I was surprised that one of the most popular sources of information about college decisions for Asian Americans was family members. Considering the parents of the students surveyed were immigrants, I'm curious to know which family members were the ones providing information, and how reliable was their knowledge?



Poon, O., & Byrd, A. (2013). Beyond Tiger Mom Anxiety – Ethnic, Gender, and Generational Difference in Asian American College Access and Choices. Journal of College Admissions. Retrieved October 1, 2017.

Knight, Keith. "Return of Tiger Mom." Cartoon. The Knight Life. 29 Jan. 2012. Web.

No comments:

Post a Comment