Sunday, October 1, 2017

Week 2 - Gerald Malvin

Gerald Malvin
ASA 2 - A01
October 1st, 2017

As I read through "Beyond Tiger Mom Anxiety: Ethnic, Gender, and Generational Differences in Asian American College Access and Choices", one thing struck my mind. A similar pattern exists in my own culture. I am a fourth-generation Chinese-Indonesian, and growing up in a Peranakan household familiarized me with not only the Chinese culture, but also the Indonesian culture. My parents had high expectations for me, and ensured that I could get the best education I could possibly attain, and I will be forever grateful for that to them. However, they had this unspoken expectation that they would much prefer if I could take thr STEM route as my career path. I am pretty lucky that my parents never expected me to be a lawyer or a doctor or an engineer, and yet the field I am very passionate about, Food Science, is something my parents agree as a career path for me. I could understand why my parents had wanted me to take the STEM route instead of the arts. Indonesia is a developing country, and they never had a culture of appreciating arts unlike say the United States or European countries. They wanted me to be able to ensure a financial stability and not have to dwell in hardship. I agree that the reason I attended college was mainly because of my parents, but after this past year, I realized that college sure is important for me and can actually be fun itself.

Question: What could possibly be the reason why I, a Chinese-Indonesian, could share cultural values in terms of education with say, a Chinese-American or Asian-American in general?

Reference:
Poon, O., & Byrd, A. (2013). Beyond Tiger Mom Anxiety: Ethnic, Gender and Generational Differences in Asian American College Access and Choices. Journal of College Admission, 22-31. Retrieved October 1, 2017.

 Image result for tiger moms

No comments:

Post a Comment