Sunday, October 1, 2017

Week 2 Amylynn Nguyen

Amylynn Nguyen
Week 2
A01


“Beyond Tiger Mom Anxiety – Ethnic Gender and Generational Differences in Asian American College Access and Choices,” by Poon and Byrd is an article that explores how Asian American students are influenced when choosing which college to attend. The article mentions many different factors that can contribute to their decisionmaking, but the most prevalent is the influence from parents. With the information presented in the article, it seems that a large percentage of Asian American students choose where they want to attend college based on what their parents want. Being an Asian American student myself, I can relate to these findings. My parents did not directly tell me where and where not to apply to college, but I did take into consideration what they would think during the process. My parents allowed me to apply to wherever I desired, but I subconsciously applied to schools that I felt would satisfy my parents. As an Asian American, I grew up with the belief that I had to do everything in my nature to please my parents since they have sacrificed so much for me. Although they gave me the freedom to do as I pleased, I still felt the need to satisfy their untold wants.

Question: Will the idea of “tiger parenting” continue to be seen as an Asian thing, or will it expand to different cultures?



References:

  1. Poon, O., & Byrd, A. (2013). "Beyond Tiger Mom Anxiety: Ethnic, Gender and Generational Difference in Asian American College Access and Choices. School of Education: Faculty Publication and Other Works, 23-30. Retrieved October 1, 2017.
  2. Hold on, Tiger Mom [Digital image]. (n.d.). Retrieved October 1, 2017, from https://ucrtoday.ucr.edu/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/tiger_mom1.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment