Sunday, October 1, 2017

Week 1 - Zoua Vang - ASA 2 A01

Zoua Vang
Section A01
Week Theme: Your Education at UC Davis and the Asian American Experience

The video “Pepper Spray at UC Davis” was very intense and I learned a lot from that video.  I didn’t know that protests could be so intense and potentially dangerous in some cases.  Although they are intense and potentially dangerous, the cause that they were standing up for is significant.  Before this class, I only knew the pepper spray incident through memes and other social media outlets.  I didn’t know that it was because of the rise of tuition.  When I had considered to attend UC Davis as a high school senior, my only concern had been the tuition and costs of attending.  Financial circumstances should not be an issue or concern when selecting an institution to achieve a higher education.  I do believe that college should be free and if not free, it should be more affordable.  In Professor Kieu-Linh Caroline Valverde’s article, “Fight the Tower,” Valverde highlights that fact that universities are becoming like corporations.  The universities won’t want to establish many tenures so that they don’t have to provide for them the benefits of a full-time employee. Thus tenure positions become dispensable and professors have to take on more part time jobs to fully support themselves and the work they do to educate students to their potential.  After reading this article, I felt shocked that tenure was a huge problem for professors.  I had no understanding of how the university system works for professors and administrators.  This article opened my eyes to the corporatization of the university.

free-k-12-education-is-a-right-but-mention-tuition-free-college-and-everyone-loses-their-minds.jpg

  • Video: “Pepper Spray at UC Davis.” Irum Shiekh director, “On Strike: Ethnic Studies, 1969-1999” (1999) UC Davis Race Protest” (2003).

No comments:

Post a Comment