Sunday, October 1, 2017

Nelofer Siddiqui A03 Week 1

I've always been aware of discrimination in the higher education system, but reading Professor Valverde's article was, frankly, a shock. The article took no time to sugar coat as it began with the story of her near-death, and immediately I was struck by disgust at how unfair this situation is. A major point in the article was that women seeking tenure are typically forced to choose between starting families or maintaining success in their careers. As a young woman myself, right away the article had me anxiously wondering whether my chosen career path would allow me to have a family, and if so, at what age and cost? If the education system is so politically corrupt that people feel they have to avoid one of the most basic human needs - procreation - then is it worth continuing the pattern?

Mental health is another issue that is important to me, and reading about Valverde's experiences with discrimination against her ADHD was infuriating. I believe every person is entitled to compensation and tools that will help them reach their full potential to succeed. The fact that she was initially denied these, and was even told that expressing her mental disability could put her career at risk is incredibly unfair. In fact, denying disabled people resources may seem like a good idea to maintain the reputation of the institution, but ultimately, the institution suffers because its employees aren't performing to their full potential. The politics described in Valverde's article are a disappointing reminder of dynamics at the high school I attended, and it's a letdown that all that many have to look forward to in their future careers is just that.

Question: I was inspired by the parts of the article that described students coming to the aid of professors whose tenure applications were threatened. How can I, as a student, learn more about which professors are in need, and how can my peers and I help them?

References:

Valverde, K., (2013). “Fight the Tower: A Call to Action for Women in Academia", 12(2), 367-419. Retrieved September 30, 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment