Thursday, June 27, 2019

Taspon Gonggiatgul-Week1-SS1


       After reading the Introduction of the Fight the tower I am shocked to find that the intrinsic purpose/goal of the long standing education system in the united states is not to pursue intellectual and academic success, but rather to create an insidious mechanism that utilize the power of social engineering to shape and control various minorities within this country. One classic example of this can be found in the oppression that academia has bought to Asian American scholars around the universities in the US, where most of them are not treated equally as scholars of other race or gender in the academia because of their labeled stereotypical calm and docile /passive nature. Much to my surprise, I did not expect to find such piece of information valid in the beginning simply because I thought Asians/Asian Americans are usually overly represented in academic culture in the contemporary world due to the rigor and the high pressure for success that are presented in the eastern educational system, but I soon realized that women, in general, are usually underrepresented or do not have any active participation in academia in most eastern countries. In general, I have never thought of the university as a place to control/shape and debase our characters simply because I was told by my Asian parents in china that the pathway to success in life can be achieved only through getting a degree in a prestigious university. However, after reading through this paper I think there is a need for me to be more aware/cautious of the current educational system and the different potential issues that exist in my Asian community instead of blindly trying to ignore everything and only center my attention in life in receiving good grades.

Question:
What is the percentage of the Asian American women professor population in the STEM field?
                                  


LAMARQUE, K. (2017, August 3). Asian American demonstrators rally [Asian American demonstrators rally as the Fisher v. University of Texas case is heard by the Supreme Court.]. Retrieved from https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2017/08/asians-affirmative-action/535812/

No comments:

Post a Comment