Friday, June 28, 2019

Matthew Kuangga, Week 1, SS1

From what I understand the “Fight the Tower Manifesto” expresses that women of color in academia are often stereotyped to be incompetent. This “Fight the Tower” movement is meant to unite women of color in academia by uniting in one voice to be heard. To stop the injustice and discrimination women of color face in their career in academia. This manifesto is meant to bring about hope for others in the same situation, to send a message to the masses that they are not alone and that their sisters are going to be joining hands and support each other until they reach their desired equality. Reading this feels empowering even though I am not a woman of color in academia myself. Because breaking away from the norm and starting a grand movement could be a road full of fear. So, I greatly admire the bravery of people who have been treated unjustly to speak out.


What found interesting about this situation is that based on my own experiences in education, a lot of my educators are women. As I was growing up through kindergarten and elementary school, I recall that most of my teachers were women. As I advanced to middle school and high school, I recall that only about half my teachers are women. For universities, I don’t really know what the ratio of the faculty are women and how they are being appreciated accordingly. So my question is: what is the reason for this trend of more women educators in kindergarten and elementary school, while the number of women educators in universities seem to be minuscule?

Source (APA):
 BRACE YOURSELF THE REVOLUTION IS COMING -. (n.d.). Retrieved June 26, 2019, from https://makeameme.org/meme/brace-yourself-the-y59985
C. K., Valverde. (n.d.). Fight the Tower: Women of Color in Academia Manifesto. Retrieved June 26, 2019, from https://canvas.ucdavis.edu/courses/392140/files/folder/Weekly Readings/Week1?preview=6305113

No comments:

Post a Comment