Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Noah Shepherd-Week 1- SS1

When I was reading the manifesto of “Fight the Tower: Women of Color in Academia” I thought it was so strong and eye-opening. I had no idea behaviors and actions happened to colored women in academia to this level, I just assumed that everyone was civil and treated each other fairly. This may be naive of me but this is how I thought. The manifesto also reminded me of the Declaration of Independence in the part when the 13 colonies write all the wrongdoings the British have done to the 13 colonies, basically explaining why they are having a revolution. The manifesto writing all of the realizations and wrongdoings shadowed that of the Declaration of Independence. With the theme of this week being, “Fear is the Path to the Darkside,” one could say that if those who are fearful stay silent and do not stand up to corruption then the “Darkside” will continue to exist. If colored women in academia cease to act on injustice then the injustice will continue. One question that I do have is how many women of color experience these interactions, many, all, or some? 
This also reminded me of an artist, Cindy Sherman, her art always played on the women stereotypes and showed how idiotic they were and made a statement that women are so much more. To my knowledge she is not a woman of color, but her message is clear. She wants to show that women are just as capable if not more capable than men, and that women artists can be successful and have a voice too. 



References 
“Fight the Tower: Women of Color in Academia Manifesto.” UC Davis Canvas Discovery, canvas.ucdavis.edu/courses/392140/files/folder/Weekly%20Readings/Week1?preview=6305113.
Sherman, Cindy. “Cindy Sherman. Untitled Film Still #35. 1979 | MoMA.” The Museum of Modern Art, www.moma.org/collection/works/56722.

No comments:

Post a Comment