Sunday, June 30, 2019

Avinash Basu Week 1 001 SS1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9DQINKZxWE

When I read Waking by Wang Ping this week I was taken aback by the sheer insensitivity of her colleagues in the wake of her lawsuit. No person should ever be blacklisted by their surroundings as it does tremendous damage to their social and mental wellbeing. This leads to an extreme negative state of mind that becomes very difficult to escape. Fear is like mud and without friends or social support it is very easy to be stuck sinking deeper into that fear.

A coping strategy I have and that I see seeds of in Ms. Ping's writing is that of believing they do not deserve what is happening to them or as I always say; "we are better than our circumstances".
Of particular resonance to me is how she described how her biologist colleague was intimately concerned about the ethics of animal experiments and animal rights therein yet her hand stayed when it came to her own colleague, an animal in her own right. It reminds me of some lyrics from a Hindi song from my adolescence.

"O Eco Friendly
Nature ke Rakshak
Mein Bhi Hoon Nature
rivaajon se
samajoon se
kyun
tu kaate mujhe
kyun baante mujhe is tarah"

'O Eco Friendly
Savior of Nature
I am Nature too
From Customs
From Societies
Why
Do you cut me off?
Why do you scatter me in pieces?'

No comments:

Post a Comment