Saturday, September 30, 2017

Week 2 - Chelsea Reyes A02


I found this reading by Poon and Byrd interesting since it is something that a lot of Asian American students feel from their families. I like how the article provided a chart to show how certain factors affected an individual's college choice process. Coming from an Asian American family, I do relate to how academic reputation and family approval are important when choosing where to go. When going through the college process, my family really wanted me to go straight into university (rather than community college or taking a year off) so I could finish school right away. My family heavily preferred Davis also because it is close to where I live and I could live at home to save money.  I feel like the research done on this specific topic really helped to show that it's not always the parents who are the decider of where their child goes, there are also outside influences that help these individuals decide where to go. I chose an image of a "tiger" mom holding a tiger mask-- I felt that this symbolizes how parents in general aren't aware of their actions and misunderstood. They typically immigrated to the US for a better future for their themselves and their children, therefore only wanting the absolute best, meaning having their children go to the best university they can.

QUESTION:  Would the data appear the same with the same sort of influences if it were done to a different kind of demographic (say European American or African American)?  For example, would an institution's academic reputation be the most important factor for other ethnicities, like how it is for Asian Americans?



References:

Poon, O., & Byrd, A. (2013). Beyond Tiger Mom Anxiety: Ethnic, Gender and Generational Differences in Asian American College Access and Choices. Journal of College Admission, 22-31. Retrieved September 29, 2017.

Wang, X. (2011, June 3). [Digital image]. Retrieved September 30, 2017, from http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/opinion/2011-06/03/content_12634106.htm


No comments:

Post a Comment