Saturday, September 30, 2017

Week 1- Tiffany Nguyen

Tiffany Nguyen
ASA02 A02
Week 1

After I read “Fight the Tower: A Call to Action for Women of Color in Academia,” I realized how oblivious I am to the corruption that takes place in systems besides business in government. I knew that the education system has many flaws but Professor Valverde’s work gave me a look at how faculty, especially those of color, endure intense situations for processes that should be simple and fair. She wrote that her achievements had even surpassed some of her colleagues, and yet she tells of how she was continuously denied tenure, while her colleagues had receive it. As a Vietnamese-American myself, reading her harrowing struggle for tenure made me think, how is accomplishing so much worth it, if in the end, countless people of color are unfairly judged and discriminated against? The reading also emphasized for me that bullying takes place in all stages of life. The emotional, physical, and mental strain of being pitted against by one’s peers exists even outside of elementary and high school social groups. There are people that are always going to want to bring you down. However, perseverance is key to coming out triumphant, breaking stigmas, and setting new standards. Her story inspires me to take the leap to reach my goals, despite any distractions and adversity I may face as an incoming student at Davis. As well as reclaim my identity as a bold, indestructible Asian American woman.   


Question: As a freshman here at Davis, the Imposter Syndrome is something I deeply relate to. Are there any methods you recommend to take to fast-track overcoming my insecurities and feelings of inadequacy?


References:

Imposter Syndrome; a Condition Often Shared [Digital image]. (2016, October 26). Retrieved September 30, 2017, from errantscience.com

Valverde, K., (2013). “Fight the Tower”: A Call to Action for Women in Academia, 12(2), 367-419. Retrieved September 29, 2017.

1 comment: