Saturday, September 30, 2017

Week 1 - Lawrence Liu

Lawrence Liu
Section A01
Week 1

            Professor Valverde’s grueling and unfair experience evoked the same emotions, anger and helplessness, as the UC Davis Pepper Spraying incident played in class and other tales of American systemic injustice and prejudice. Through Professor Valverde’s experience, she became completely disillusioned by academia and the administration. As someone who spent 10 years abroad and greatly yearned to return to America, I was disappointed when I finally returned, growing more disillusioned by the day. Before I came back to America for college, I had a romanticized idea of America as an open-minded and progressive land of freedom. Instead I found myself encountering all forms of bigotry, racism and ignorance. Throughout it all, I am extremely thankful for passionate professors like Valverde who take the time to ensure they are educating their students and enraged they have to face injustice and harassment. Reading through her experiences has highlighted the bigotry ingrained within the system in addition to reaffirming my belief that to truly create change, one has to be in a position of power. Thus, as a senior, I have decided to move to Asia to work full-time and play to my strengths as a Third Culture Kid and eventually become a figure to influence change.

Question: How did America, land of the free and home of the brave, become a twisted and perverted version of its ideals? Why were the faculty members who made Valverde’s life a living hell not subsequently punished and vilified?


References:
Jill Churchill. (n.d.). AZQuotes.com. Retrieved September 30, 2017, from AZQuotes.com Web site: http://www.azquotes.com/quote/533612

Valverde, K., (2013). “Fight the Tower”: A Call to Action for Women in Academia, 12(2), 367-419. Retrieved September 30, 2017.

1 comment:

  1. We will break down the American myth a lot in this course.

    ReplyDelete