Saturday, September 30, 2017

Week 1 - Gerald Malvin

Gerald Malvin
ASA 002 - A01
September 30th, 2017

     As I read Professor Valverde's "Fight The Tower: A Call To Action For Women In Academia",
one thing stood out to me, no matter where I go, no matter how much "equality" was campaigned for in a certain country, racism does still exist. This fact does disappoint me because as a young boy growing up, I never really took notice of this despite the countless of times my parents tried asserting this fact. I couldn't agree more with the stance that Professor Valverde has in her text, some ethnicities do have an 'advantage' when compared to other ethnicities in terms of advancement of careers. My father has always told me that because I am a minority, I need to work double or even triple the amount others work just to be in the same position as they are. The fact that racism exists sure is unfortunate, but as a college student, all I can do for now is work hard and let all the talking be done through my works. I can see no reason why sexism or racism exists even until today, and I was taken aback when I read how Professor Valverde went through such amount of tough times yet people still demanded so much for her in the wrong time. I personally am touched by Professor Valverde's perseverance, how she persevered through her hardest times and still managed to excel even in times where others would've fallen.

Question: As the next generation to lead this world, how could we contribute to the start of the end of racism and sexism?

Reference:
 Valverde, K., (2013). “Fight the Tower”: A Call to Action for Women in Academia, 12(2), 367-419. Retrieved September 30, 2017.

1 comment:

  1. Knowing how and why racism, sexism,...*really* began helps to end it.

    ReplyDelete