Sunday, June 2, 2013

Leigh Hiura
Reading: Threatening Men: Defining Filipino American Masculinity


I really do not understand what was going on in the minds of Americans in the past. I never understood why they thought it was okay to segregate people based on their skin color and like with this article, why Filipino men could be considered a threat just because some American girls may find them attractive. So what. I do not understand the past. However, it is a bit similar to now with gay marriage. I personally support it and believe that anyone should be able to get married to whomever they want, but people think it is wrong and it should not happen. I do not understand this either. Why can’t we just let everyone be equal. Not “equal” but truly equal in the sense that we are not threatened by someone else’s masculinity or who they love. It should not be a big deal and I do not think those who try to make it a big deal are right. Maybe we should feel threatened if someone, and it could be anyone of any color, is smarter than you and you are competing against them for a job or something but that is different because it won’t be based on race, it will be based on ability. With ability you can change, you can work harder, put in more hours and I understand that. With race though, what do you do? That is my question. Why would you feel threatened by something you cannot change and by something that should not make a difference?

No comments:

Post a Comment