Section A02
Blog 4/Week 4
October 10, 2015
My initial thought while reading this was for the project of the research park and how the college was planning to replace its natural beauty for more buildings. However, after reading the whole article, I understand that the author was trying to incorporate the idea of corporatism by comparing the research park and student activism. I agree with the author that student activists' behavior is a rational response to the school's bureaucracy, so I also believe that their actions are justified when coming together to form peaceful protests that do no harm to authority figures, unlike the other way around.
Sadly, there is no middle line for critics and defenders of student activists to agree upon. If UC Davis were to remodel the quad, remove the trees around the Memorial Union, and build more institutions for research, I know there would be people opposed to the idea of both sides. The author mentions that corporatism leads American colleges since administrators create systems and procedures that sacrifice needs of humans to build a foundation for the needs of the institutions. In this example, the institution would be focusing on academia, which is understandable for the improvement of studies, and yet again, there is no middle ground to please both sides.
So then, what should universities focus on to improve their campus?
May not necessarily be about campus projects, but we can infer that administrations are spending money in areas these students disagree with.
No comments:
Post a Comment