This weeks readings entitled "A Quota on Excellence" by Don Nakanishi serves as an expose on the issue of discrimination in college admissions and the disproportionate levels of rejection faced by Asian American applicants to top colleges. I find it surprising that despite having been written in the early 90's, the article still remains pertinent and topical when taken into consideration the resurgence of debate regarding affirmative action, as a result of the recent cases regarding them at the University of Texas. I find myself perplexed on how to solve this issue and still maintain any semblance of diversity, as the statistics have indicated that Asian Americans represent the majority of students in the UC system as of 2015. I am curious as to whether or not the U.C.'s system of racially blind admissions is necessarily in the best interest of the public, as African Americans and Hispanics have born the blunt of the reversal in the UC's affirmative action program. The debate on Affirmative Action and it's implications on the Asian American community, I feel act as a microcosm for the race politics that exist between other minority groups and Asian Americans, and I hope that I can learn more about this dynamics of power that exist in this ASA Class.

No comments:
Post a Comment