Sunday, October 11, 2015

Kimberly Pariyavanh
ASA 2, A03
11 October 2015
Blog 4
Response to “Why We Should Fear University, Inc.”

            This article made me view my college experience in a new way. I never thought of college as something that was marketed to attract more money from potential students or donors.  I always thought that college solely existed for educational achievement and to ready an individual for the actual world. After reading this article, I feel that I was a bit naïve to think this way. This article shed light on how universities are hotspots for businesses. Place a Starbucks or a good burger restaurant on campus and students are willing to consume.  Also the line about renovations and the addition of new buildings on campuses made me question who really benefits from the reconstruction. Although students eventually have the opportunity to make use of the building, it seems that it may mostly serve as an aesthetic to bring in more money in the long run.




Question: How and when did some colleges become influenced to be like a corporation?


No comments:

Post a Comment