Sunday, August 4, 2019

Avinash Basu Week 3 SS1

I once tried a social experiment by inviting members of the Indian Student Association and the Chinese Student Association to a party to see if they would mingle. After all we're both from the same continent and probably have more in common with each other than we did with western standards.
They did not mix.
America is touted as a melting pot where all cultures come together to mingle but in my experience I find that people of different ethnic groups tend to rigidly stay within their own groups.
I suppose its easier to stick together than to jump a vast cultural divide.
Me being an Indian and American and a straight outta India Indian; don't mind this too much as I would never belong anywhere anyway so I just flit from ethnic group to ethnic group, comfortable but never settled.

I want to say kindness should be a universal trait regardless of culture but how that kindness manifests is the tricky part.
What is kindness in one culture is rude in another.
My solution is to help regardless and keep people's feelings in mind but never sacrificing the end goal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDzP_xTJthY

No comments:

Post a Comment