Sunday, October 4, 2015

Long Vang
ASA 2
10/4/15
Week 3

Reading Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders in California: How Higher Education Diversity Benefits Our Communities I felt like Asians, the “model minority”, are forgotten or scrutinize even more than other color race.  It is because we are known as the “model minority” that our actions weighs a lot more when it comes to academic, social, or work.  Why is it that we have a target on our back when we are supposedly the race that all other color race should strive for?  The term model minority has become a shackle that binds us down and restricts our potential.  What I believed should have brought pride or at least make us, Asians, feel great about being at the top even if the top was basically still losers has become a cursed.  What I mean about still being losers is that when someone refer to your race as a minority, to me it refer to your inferior status in a certain country.  As to how the term “model minority” has become a curse; every race has come to believe that Asians are naturally smart, gifted and will somehow achieve greatness.  Don’t get me wrong I like this train of thought, but it means that if we don’t follow this vision that everyone else has it means we are not truly Asians.  This can cause us to not get jobs, fail in school, and stay in the lower middle class.  I want to break this curse and only leave the idea that we as a race can be on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment