Saturday, October 10, 2015

Blog Week 4 Chelbert Dai

The Coddling of the American Mind
Chelbert Dai
Section 2

When I was reading this article, I couldn't help but think about the implications of having a too progressive society. Perhaps when a society such as a college environment becomes too liberal, everything and everyone becomes hypersensitive to even the most remote insensitive comment. No longer can haphazard jokes be thrown around with no fear of retaliation as with what existed in high school. As a college student, I feel that every comment is received in its literal meaning, not in its mode or method of inflection. In this way, I agree with the idea that emotional reasoning dominates college life as anything deemed offensive is retaliated with swift and quick punishment. I also found the idea of cognitive behavioral therapy to be wholly fascinating as it seems like the perfect cure-all solution to many problems faced by my peers and I. The article did not seem to expand upon the actual minutiae of how to actually go about practicing cognitive behavioral therapy so my question would be how does one ultimately gain the ability to think based on objective evidence?

No comments:

Post a Comment