Sunday, April 9, 2017

Week 2: Margirie Dublin, A02

Margirie Dublin
Section: A02
Week 2: Marginalization and Miseducation

This week’s reading,” Hmong Does Not Mean Free: Miseducation of Hmong Americans” by Kaozong N. Mouavangsou focuses on the passive marginalization and miseducations of many subordinate groups in America. Mouavangsou was initially taught that there are rules to everything yet when she went to her belief changed based on how school taught equality and fairness. She also addresses the gender disparities within the Hmong culture, and the differences of gender roles. By her observation of various Hmong families exposes how education plays a significant role in both boys and girls life, yet negatively towards Hmong boys.  This concept seems to be relevant to most Asian American cultures; we see that more Asian women pursue education more than boys do. The Lack of representation of Asian American history, especially Hmong history creates a divide in self-identity. Education is pushed on Asian Americans, yet due to the lack of that information, many are misguided about their own history or tend to be disconnected from their education because the lack of relativity that Asian Americans have. The lack of the right acknowledgment of Asian American history is concerning because many do not understand the culture, nor appreciate the efforts and supports that Asian Americans have in American history.
This idea is very important, because just as in Native American studies, many were taught about the tale of Pilgrims and the Indians, Cowboys and Indians, or the naïve story about missions. All of these stories are told in an outsider’s perspective or twisted to favor the American side, mostly portraying Americans as the hero not the oppressor. I believe that the different minorities history is important to tell, the actual truth of history to help them understand their culture and make that connection. Similarly both of my parents immigrated to America from the Philippines, and pushed a higher education on me. I believed the ideology that my parents believed more education will bring me a better future. Yet as I was learning, I was never taught about my culturally history. Even here at UC Davis, I have only heard a short ten-minute lecture about Filipinos working with the farmworkers union. There is only one class offered that focuses on the Filipino experience. I have always felt disconnected yet, I always tried to listen to stories that my dads use to tell the stories or me my auntie tells me now.

Question: How could we implement the true history of minorities groups, instead of the mainstream stories that are being told?


This image shows the strong need for our stories, not what other have of us to be told and taught to minorites

Reference:
1. Mouavangsou, K. (2017). Hmong Does Not Mean Free: The Miseducation Of Hmong Americans.

No comments:

Post a Comment