Melissa De Guzman
ASA 2 – Section A01
Week 4 Blog
Throughout
my life, I have been fortunate to not have experienced people discriminate me
due to my beliefs or ethnicity. I was never fully aware of the issue until I
read this week’s article, “How Trigger Warnings Are Hurting Mental Health on
Campus.” They describe how people should live in a world where people should be
more protected on verbal abuse regardless if it was intentional or not. But
many have argued if this policy would prevent us from gaining more intellectual
perspectives, which could help us to understand the different people we meet. We
should learn about other people’s lifestyles and understand the comments that
hurt them. If we stay oblivious to these things, how are we supposed to
understand who they are as a person? I want to learn the truth rather than
people giving me bits and pieces of it. Considering how our society is moving
forward through discriminatory times, I feel that it is in our best interest to
learn as much as we could about one another.
Question: How can we spread awareness on the types of
comments that hurt other cultures, religions, and sexuality?
No comments:
Post a Comment